Confidently Uncertain

I often wonder why people aren't okay about admiting their mistakes, or putting their hand up when they don't know the answer, or telling others that they aren't sure what they are doing is the right thing.  To me, this is one of the easiest things to do.  Not only does it keep me honest but it also allows others to see my vulnerabilities.  

Maybe that is why it is hard for people.  To show others their weaknesses, or areas of challenge I suppose is hard.  

What I have learned through being a leader in a school setting is that this would have to be one of the most important qualities a leader could have.  Opening yourself up for potential criticisms or feedback that might be hard to hear, is a growth tool.  

Showing that it is okay to not have all the answers, or advice, or solutions is a good thing.  Being open to learning and being willing to work harder to be better every day is something every leader should be aspiring to do. 

At the moment, I am uncertain as to how the future will look at my school.  I am uncertain that how I am leading staff is the right way.  I am uncertain that the direction we are heading with teaching and learning will lead to raising student engagement and achievement.  

But, I am confident in the 'why'.  The moral purpose and vision.  The reason.  

Is this mine?  Is this the staff's?  Is this the students?  Is this the communities? 

I often question whether I am pushing something onto a school/staff/student body/community that is not going to work, that is only going to divide, that is going to lead to the end of my leadership career.

But isn't that what being vulnerable is all about.  Always questioning yourself and allowing others to do the same.  Ensuring that when you point the finger at someone, you have 3 more fingers pointing back at you.  Being able to look in the mirror and be okay with what you see and hear.  

If I was ever in an educational leadership role where I didn't feel that what I was doing had as much weight behind it or potential impact on others, in other words 'high stakes' ideas, then I would ask myself the question, 'why'?  

How much more 'high stakes' do you get than the future of our rangatahi? 

Being confidently uncertain is okay.  Now just to keep reminding myself this...................................

For further reading on being confidently uncertain go to Human,better with Arch Fuston

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shifting from congenial to collegial inquiry conversations

Digging deeper into cultural relationships for responsive pedagogy