Making sense of the learning so far

Lockdown 2021 has been rather timely.  After just having completed an ERO Review and receiving the ERO Report last week, it has given me a chance to do a lot of reflecting.  Not easy when what you're reflecting upon is a combination of what you think you achieved over the last three years, versus where you realistically are. 

No news to anyone who is in a leadership position that the ability to reflect is one of the fundamental skills that all leaders must possess.  Interesting when you actually research what good reflection looks like, you actually need to reflect upon what you have read about reflection. 

It's not just looking at the past, recognising mistakes and hopefully not repeating them. If used well it can be used to reflect upon all actions and outcomes, positive or negative, so that we are more self-aware and it becomes a powerful tool for learning.  

I guess its not much use though if the structure or process in which reflection occurs is biased (either allows for the subject to be self-congratulated only, or worse, critical to the point of self-attack), and not shared with others. 

I verge on the latter bias, always.  It has been important for me to understand the thoughts and feelings that come out of my reflecting.  These can both work for and against me and definitely influence my next moves.

The biggest thing I have learnt over the course of my first principalship is to share my reflections about what has happened or happening at my kura, and in my own learning journey.  If I don't do this, I can get bogged down in the trivial, I can get depressed with the negative thought patterns, and I can't see the trees through the forest.  

This doesn't mean I am good at sharing - it takes me ages to get to the point of telling someone or a group of people my thoughts & feelings.  They often come out once I am at the point of no-return - its either share and work together on finding solutions, or its burn-out. I now have to open myself up more to those around me who I work closest with.  I have to be more vulnerable with my team, and I have to trust.  We will not progress any further as a kura unless this happens.  So now it begins (again).

I always thought I was a collaborative leader; someone who would encourage staff voice and work collectively with others.  I am now learning that there are ways to be collaborative that are motivational and encourage growth, and then there are ways of being collaborative that make change happen, but it won't ever be embedded or sustainable. 

The following will be my focus moving forward:

How to develop shared understanding.

How to build collective capacity. 

How to design supportive systems and processes. 

I am now in my fourth year of principalship.  The journey so far has been a roller-coaster of wins/loses and all the emotions that come with those.  Its now time for me to step-back and take a breath.  Its now time to effectively and purposefully reflect upon the the last three years with my team and make sense of the learning.  Only then can we set a plan for the future.  

Lesshgo.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shifting from congenial to collegial inquiry conversations

Digging deeper into cultural relationships for responsive pedagogy